What We Do
YANA improves access to and deployment of human capital for social entrepreneurs and organizations. We do all of this by Connecting, Convening, Collaborating through our programs, resources, Chapter meetings, and written and live spotlights of impactful organizations.
Webinars, Evening Teas, Other Programming/Panels
YANA brings in Yale alumni and other experts to explore the dynamic and rapidly-evolving facets of the social impact sector:
YANA offers these webinars and other programs — free of charge — with the goal of being accessible to the widest possible audience. If you have found any value from being a part of the YANA network, and/or from attending our events and webinars, please help us sustain our impact by becoming a YANA supporter today.
YANA spotlights individuals and organizations impacting their communities and the world!
Yale Community Connect
The mission of Yale Community Connect is to build ongoing relationships based on volunteering between Yale alumni (and friends) and community-based organizations (including public schools). Our philosophy is that to volunteer on an ongoing basis is a privilege, because volunteers are guaranteed to grow in amazing ways and to feel good about helping communities grow as well.
The name of our entity, Yale Community Connect, intentionally avoids the word “service” — which focuses on the good deeds of the volunteer. Instead, Yale Community Connect emphasizes the relationship of mutual benefit and enjoyment that both volunteer and host institution experience in an ongoing relationship of connection, engagement, and resource-sharing.
The vision of Yale Community Connect is a world in which:
- Communities are strengthened by increased meaningful, ongoing volunteer engagements between Yale alumni and community-based organizations;
- Yale is strengthened by producing alumni who have internalized the self-expectation to connect, engage, and share resources with vulnerable communities; and
- The notion of “service,” which focus on volunteers’ good deeds, is expanded to an appreciation for the “equity of exchange” or mutual benefit that occurs in meaningful, ongoing relationships between volunteers and organizations.
Our goals for Yale Community Connect volunteers are to:
- Strengthen the 10-year tradition of Yale Day of Service (YDoS) by helping to deliver on its expanded mission;
- Be useful to organizations that support and strengthen communities;
- Establish and sustain ongoing relationships based on volunteering with organizations;
- Socialize with other like-minded volunteers (Yale alumni, friends, organization partners, and others)
YANA is working to build the first Yale alumni pro bono nonprofit consulting group. Click HERE for more information and to participate.