Summer internships can be crucial in launching an undergraduate on the social impact career path. Often, summer internships in these fields are unpaid, limited to expensive or remote locations, or lack the mentorship infrastructure needed to make a student’s passion a viable career track. Many Yale students are unable to participate in such unfunded, public sector or social impact summer internships due to lack of funding and other financial burdens, like the requirement to contribute to their financial aid package during the summer. Even with existing support offered through the University, Yale Clubs, alumni, and others, funding constraints continue. Nearly 140 Yale undergraduate students over the past two years have turned down internships for lack of adequate funding.
In 2017, YANA and Dwight Hall collaborated to form the YANA-Dwight Hall Summer Fellowship, designed to reduce the barriers for financially constrained Yale students interested in pursuing careers in the common good. Often, summer internships in these fields are unpaid, limited to only a few locations in the country, or lack the experienced mentorship needed to make a student’s passion a viable career track. The Summer Fellowship provides some financial support, introduces Fellows to the YANA alumni network, and provides mentoring, training and other assistance. The Summer Fellowship sponsored its first Fellows in the summer of 2017.
Beyond continuing to financially support YANA, there are several ways you can join in the Fellowship program:
- Sponsor an intern through a contribution targeted to the Fellowship program
- Identify local nonprofits potentially interested in hosting a summer intern
- Assist interns hosted by a local nonprofit with logistics including housing
- Arrange for a local summer mentor
- Contribute to YANA’s fundraising efforts by identifying other alumni with the potential to financially support the program
- Host an event during the summer featuring the local intern(s) and related speakers
For more information and to get involved, contact firstname.lastname@example.org