YANA WEBINAR SERIES
Announcing the YANA Fundraising Webinar Series! Join Yale alumni fundraising experts to learn everything from the basics of fundraising to tips on making the most of social media. Each session will be 1 hour: a 40-minute presentation, followed by 20 minutes of Q&A.
Wednesday, February 6, 2019
Planned Giving — John Bacon, The Metropolitan Museum of Art
Planned giving can be an important source of support for your organization, no matter how big or small. In this webinar, you will learn about:
- The different types of planned gifts and what motivates them
- The importance of bequests and beneficiary designations and the benefits and pitfalls of life income gifts
- How to prospect for planned gifts from your supporters
- The importance of stewardship of planned giving donors
- Back-end considerations including how to use realized bequests and how to deal with problem estates and surviving family
John Bacon ’85 shares best practices and examples from his experience running the planned giving programs at The New York Public Library and The Metropolitan Museum of Art. Even if your organization cannot devote major resources to such a program, you can take simple steps to identify and secure legacy commitments to supplement your other sources of financial support. The donors are out there and your organization can be included in their estate plans!