Nonprofit Leaders’ Fiduciary Duties
Wednesday, Sept. 2, 2020 | 1:00-2:00pm EDT
Nonprofit Leaders’ Fiduciary Duties – Matthew D. Gelfand ’77, Richard T. Moreland, Robert A. Scott, Moreland Associates, LLC
As a nonprofit leader, do you know your fiduciary responsibilities for your organization’s finances? Do the words “fiduciary” or “finance” scare you away from serving in nonprofit leadership roles or from taking on more responsibility at your organization?
This webinar will describe the nature of fiduciary responsibilities, especially with respect to financial and investment matters, provide a model of good fiduciary governance, and review some of the tools available to nonprofit financial fiduciaries for prudent financial management.
Matt Gelfand, Rich Moreland, and Bob Scott, of Moreland Associates, LLC, each has decades of experience serving as fiduciaries for nonprofit organizations in executive, board, committee, and vendor roles. They will guide you through the thicket of fiduciary duties so you can feel confident in taking on and exercising more responsibility for the financial and broader benefit of your nonprofit organizations.
This webinar will cover essential elements of fiduciary responsibility, good governance, and prudent financial management.
- Defining fiduciary responsibilities
- Model governance structures
- The Uniform Prudent Management of Institutional Funds Act (“UPMIFA”)
- Documenting governance structures and processes and the investment policy statement (IPS)
- The importance of good recordkeeping
- What behavior, actions, and decisions are prudent?
- Self-dealing and conflicts of interest