All The Way Up Adult Education Center (ATWU) is a mission and service-based organization that seeks to empower marginalized populations of Newark, NJ and greater Essex County through individualized training in GED/HSE Test Preparation, Adult Basic Education (ABE), English as a Second Language (ESL), and Job Readiness Skills.
Weekly Tutoring for Adult Learners:
The greatest strength of All The Way Up as an organization is its strong core of volunteer tutors. Classes meet Tuesday and Thursday and tutors work with students from about 10:15 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in two separate sessions.
Here’s how you can help change someone’s life:
- Help Adult Learners with basic skills, prepare for their GED, or learn English (ESL)
- Tutor students in basic reading, writing, math, social studies, or science
- Tutor 1-2 students in a small group setting
- Volunteer on EITHER Tuesday or Thursday during the day; Generally ask volunteers to make a minimum commitment of one semester (~12 wks). Occasional absences are allowed, but our students value consistency as the relationship-building aspect of tutoring is key. Tutors asked to arrive at 9:55am & can leave at 12:30pm
- No prior teaching experience necessary – only a willingness to learn
- Training available for new tutors
- Increased understanding and appreciation of different values, cultures, and lifestyles
- Increased skill in creative problem solving
- Sense of belonging to a group focused on a common goal
- Sense of accomplishment
Contact Christopher Jennings, Program Director with questions.
o: 862.234.5258 | c: 203-676-9231